Animated GIFs have been taking over the web and especially social media channels for quite some time now. They are popular for social interactions, but they can also attract some very positive attention to your business on social media. Here are Selby Acoustics, we normally focus on audio tech, but every once in awhile, we like to dabble in some visual tech too, so here is how and even why you should create your own animated GIFs.
3 Types of Animated GIFs
There are essentially three different types of animated GIFs. You can create an animated GIF from a slideshow of images, you can compile video clips into an animated GIF, or you can add text or stickers to an existing animated GIF or make it animated with the text or stickers. Animated GIFs appear to be moving, some are because of the video, but others are just animated still images.
Top GIF Maker Applications or Programs
Making an animated GIF is much easier than you might imagine. You do not need any video making, developer, or coding skills at all. In fact, all you need is a program or application, most of which are free. Here are 4 different ones you might choose from or test them all to see which one you like best.
- Giphy: Giphy is one of the most popular GIF makers and is also a search engine for GIFs. It is free to make and save your animated GIFs on Giphy, making it accessible to the public and therefore helping you get the word out about whatever it is you are promoting with your animated GIF. In addition, it is a quick and easy completely free process. Besides being able to upload and share your new animated GIF through Giphy, it also lets you save it for your own use.
- GIFs.com: This GIF making program has powerful tools with an editor that is easy to use. Once you have finished your animated GIF project, you can share it using the URL that GIFs.com provides or download it so that you can upload it where you want.
- Screen to GIF: This clever program makes it easy to select and record a portion of your screen, you if you already have a video or animated GIF you want to edit, this program makes that possible, and even simple.
- GIF Toaster: This is a free app that is available for iOS devices that allows you to turn photos and videos on your phone into animated GIFs. While that function might lend itself to more social or personal uses, it still makes it easy for you to create GIFs for your business when you are on the go or just trying to take advantage of a trending topic quickly.
Why Should You Create Animated GIFs to Help Promote Your Business?
The million dollar question here might not be which GIF animation tool to use, but why. If you are promoting your business through social channels, you already know how stiff the competition is. It is difficult to get eyeballs on your posts and even tougher to garner engagement on said posts. Animated GIFs allow you to keep up with what everyone else is doing and make sure that your hard work on social media doesn’t go unnoticed. Here are four ways that animated GIFs will help your social media activity get the attention you want and deserve.
- Showcase Your Products: Rather than just using still photos, use a photo collage to make an animated GIF, or short video clips rather than a long video.
- Show Your Brand’s Personality: Your animated GIFs can include your staff, reactions to reviews, testing out new products, and more. Use your imagination and test out new ideas frequently.
- Add Humour to Your Social Posts: Social media is all about being social, and humour is a big part of that. Don’t be afraid to tap into funny pop culture anecdotes to get a smile out of your social media audience.
- Pay Tribute to Your Customers: Nothing says thank you like a personalised message or thank you note to your customers.
Conclusion and Takeaways for Your Company
If you aren’t already using animated GIFs in your social channels, why not give them a try? You have nothing to lose, and few options like this are free tools. There are several ways to make animated GIFs, many different free tools or applications available, and there are many reasons why it can help improve your social media presence and engagement. As with any marketing strategy, you should test out several different options to see what your audience reacts best to and which types of animated GIFs can bring in the best ROI.