Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited was incorporated in the year 2000 by the Government of India and took over from the Department of Telecom Services (DTS) and the Department of Telecom Operations (DTO) to enter the business of providing telecom services in India.
It is the only Public Sector Undertaking that is currently involved in providing telecom service in India facing stiff competition from the private sector telecom players. BSNL Mobile, formerly called CellOne, has a customer base of 109.11 million, as per data collected in February 2018 with prepaid and postpaid connections and offers BSNL Recharge services to both the GSM type of mobile phones.
Some of the distinctive features of this cellular service provider are:-
- The government owned body provides fixed telephony, mobile telephony and wireless broadband services in India
- It is currently operating in 22 telecom circles in India providing international roaming too
- It was the first cellular operator in India that helped its customers by providing free incoming calls on roaming across the country
- BSNL offers a good assortment of prepaid services to enable customers to choose the best one and carry out the BSNL recharge online from the BSNL official website or a trusted third party website.
- The different package includes local call rates, BSNL to BSNL calls, night rates, local and STD calls, messaging packs for 2G and 3G services, national and international roaming for BSNL recharge online.
- A brief on the BSNL recharge plans are:-
- Voice call plans – The lowest package starts at Rs. 10 talktime and the highest one is priced at Rs. 2000 with full talktime, both with unlimited validity.
- SMS plans – this plan ranges between Rs. 1402 with 250 sms and 250 MB data and a validity of a month to Rs. 21 inclusive of 265 local and national sms valid for 15 days.
- 3G and 2G plan – the least priced plan is valid for 1 day offering 110 megabyte data. The highest one is priced at Rs. 1949/- valid for a period of 9 months offering 40 gigabyte data free usage.
- BSNL keeps launching attractive prepaid plans coinciding with international events like it launched a special BSNL recharge data plan during IPL 2018 and has recently launched one for football lovers called the BSNL FIFA World Cup Data Special.
- The company also provides Value added services like Free Phone service (FPH), India Telephone Card (prepaid) , Account card calling (ACC), Virtual Private Network (VPN), Tele-voting, Premium Rate Service (PRM) and Universal Access Number (UAN); IPTV for customers to watch television using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)
- BSNL also has a separate Blackberry services
- BSNL is reputed to be providing the fastest broadband services in India to home-based internet users through the BSNL FTTH broadband service.
- It has launched the linguistic email service in eight different Indian languages
- It has also been awarded a project for setting up 25000 Wi-Fi hotspots in rural areas last year